This morning I went to the memorial service for this little boy, Brayden. He was the baby son of my friends Michelle and Jake. Michelle and I met when she and her family moved to Summerville one year ago. Michelle attended La Leche League in Summerville and my friend April provided child care for Brayden and his big brother Nathaniel. Brayden drowned on Friday evening in the family's above ground pool.
The memorial service was this morning at the Seacoast Church in Summerville. Several of my friends from La Leche League were there: Sue, Kelly (with her husband and baby Isabella), and Lois (with her baby Rhett). The speakers included the minister from the Seacoast church, Jake's best friend (who is a minister), and Michelle's brother Chuck. The service focused on Brayden's life and the hope we have in Christ. Even so, it was a terribly sad service. They had a slide show of pictures of Brayden. As we watched, most of us wept. Many times during the service, Michelle could be heard crying aloud. I couldn't help but think of Jeremiah 31:15, "A voice is heard in Ramah, Lamentation and bitter weeping. Rachel is weeping for her children; She refuses to be comforted for her children, Because they are no more." At the end of the service, the minister offered an invitation to any who would like to come forward for prayers, to commit their lives to Christ, or to talk with a minister. Various church members went to the sides to receive those wanting prayers. A band sang a few praise and worship songs. Michelle and Jake went to the side. They stood together and prayed and wept. I sat and cried and read a few verses from Lamentations during the song Forever by Chris Tomblin.
Give thanks to the Lord
Our God and King
His love endures forever
For He is good, He is above all things
His love endures forever
Sing praise, sing praise
With a mighty handand outstretched arm
His love endures forever
For the life that's been reborn
His love endures forever
Sing praise, sing praise
Sing praise, sing praise
Yeah
Forever God is faithful
Forever God is strong
Forever God is with us
ForeverForever
From the rising to the setting sun
From the rising to the setting sun
His love endures forever
By the grace of God
We will carry on
His love endures forever
Sing praise, sing praise
Sing praise, sing praise
Yeah
Forever God is faithful...
I looked up from my reading and saw that much of the audience was standing and praising God. Michelle's parents stood together near the front with their arms outstretched to God. It was beautiful and sad at the same time. I believe that God will be glorified in Brayden's life and in his death. Even so, the sorrow is so deep.
I came home and spent a lot of time holding my little ones today. They are so very precious.
Blessed be your name, On the road marked with suffering, Though there's pain in the offering, Blessed be your name
Every blessing you pour out, I turn back to praise, When the darkness closes in, Lord, Still I will say...Blessed be the name of the Lord
Every blessing you pour out, I turn back to praise, When the darkness closes in, Lord, Still I will say...Blessed be the name of the Lord
3 comments:
Wow, its been a LONG time!!!! Glad to hear from you.
How sad! I'm so sorry about your friends baby. Its great to see you on here agian. Love keeping up with your sweet family. Missing ya'll, AC
Well said, Amanda! Thanks for being involved and caring about Jake and Michelle! --Noah
Post a Comment