Bedtime is usually a stressful time for me. The kids don't seem to notice, but I am really tired by the end of day. Completing our bedtime routine is a real chore for me most nights. We go potty and brush teeth. We get nighttime pullups for the girls and a diaper for Elijah. Hannah and Elijah get pajamas. Katie refuses them. Everynight. We all go into the girls' room and read three books. We always read one Bible story, one educational story (counting, baby animals, etc.) and one Sandra Boynton book. If you are not familiar with Sandra Boynton, it is time to enter the world of entertaining children's books. She is great. Her books are funny every time and I've read many of her books hundreds of times.After stories we turn out the lights. Jesse and I take turns saying prayers with the girls and then I sing a few (dozen) songs. Jesse usually says the prayers for each girl but I have been encouraging them to say the prayer themselves. A few months ago, Hannah took a real interest in saying her own prayers. She would mimic a bedtime prayer she learned from the cartoon: Boz the Bear. She would say, "Dear-a God, Thank you ends for Mommy, Daddy, Hannah, Katie, Elijah, and everybody else. Amen" I always remind her, "In Jesus name" She would then repeat, "In Jesus name, Amen." Very sweet. Her interest in the Bible and the Gospel are so encouraging. She loves the story of Jesus dying on the cross and often asks me where Jesus is. I remind her that he has gone to prepare a place for us called Heaven and when it is ready he will come and get us to take us there. In fact, she is a little upset that Brayden got to go to Heaven before the rest of us. She's not sad, she doesn't know to be sad. But she is disappointed that it's not her turn yet. Oh, to have the faith of a little child!!
So, since Hannah has been praying, I decided to encourage Katie to pray outloud. I tell her, "Pray with Mommy." I begin and she repeats after me."
Mommy: Dear God
Katie: Dear God
M: Thank you
K: Ank-ooh
M: for this day
K: day
M: Thank you
K: Ank-ooh
M: for Mommy
K: Mommy
M: for Daddy
K: Daddy
M: Hannah
K: Nanah
M: Katie
K: A-tie!
M: Elijah
K: Ji-jah
M: Thank you
K: Ank-ooh
M: for food
K: ood
M: and drinks
K: water?
M: In Jesus name I pray
K: AMEN!
Good job Katie. This went on for about a week. But Katie is a freespirit. So a few nights ago...
Mommy: Dear God
Katie: Dear God
Mommy: Thank you
Katie: Ank-ooh
M: for Daddy
K: bubbles
M: Mommy
K: bubbles
M: Hannah
K: bubbles
M: Katie
K: A-tie's bubbles?
M: Elijah
K: Ji-JAH!
M: Thank you
K: for bubbles
M: for our home
K: and bubbles
M: In Jesus name I pray
K: AMEN!!
M: Amen. Go to sleep Katie.
3 comments:
This post is by far one of the sweetest stories ever. I think Katie's prayers are precious! (I can hardly wait to say prayers with our boys in the future.) In light of all the negative things in the world, children's prayers have to be at the top of the list of the best things in life. It just puts a smile in your heart.
So glad we got to visit with you a little bit the other night!
~Brandi
Hello! This is my first time to visit your blog. I love Sandra Boynton! Barnyard Dance is my favorite! Your children's prayers are so precious... from the mouths of babes! It is neat that you have family in Texas. I am from the Gainesville area, about an hour north of Fort Worth. I really enjoyed visiting your blog... I look forward to visiting again!
I just wanted to say hello and that this is the first visit for me. :~)
Post a Comment