Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Days of the Week

Hannah and I have begun homeschooling. This year is a little more structured than last year because she is now preschool age. We are loosely following a preschool curriculum with the intent to prepare her for kindergarten material.

Today I went to the local teachers' store and picked up a wall calendar like you see in elementary schools around the country. I hung it in the dining room for us to review each morning. We will review the days of the week and the date. So, today is Tuesday. We discussed that tomorrow will be Wednesday. Hannah and I have discussed days of the week before so I asked her, "Today is Tuesday so tomorrow is?"

"Threes-day!"

"Threes-day? No, not Threesday."

"But Mama, it's Twos-Day, then Threes-day! Is there a Fours-day?"

At this point I feel like the conversation has digressed. "No, Hannah. After Tuesday is Wednesday."

"Then what?"

"After Wednesday is Thursday."

"Twos-Day, then Ones-day, then Threes-Day? That's crazy!"

"Umm, yeah. Okay. So, what is the date today?"

"Nine!!"

Okay. Sure. I'm going to be totally compentant at this. I can feel it.

7 comments:

Heather Hensley said...

I love it! Welcome to my teacher world! I can teach you some days of the week songs if you like. Too cute!

Kristen Ballard said...

Good for you, I would really, really love to homeschool the kids.
Good luck!!

bekster said...

That's too funny. I can't believe I never thought of that.

Courtney said...

lol. They dont make it easy do they?

Unknown said...

That's funny. Laura did a days of the week song each morning last year in her Kindergarten class. I don't think she's doing it this year since she's teaching 3rd grade, but I haven't actually asked her... Anyways, I'm sure she would teach you if you were interested. (I actually know it too but don't tell anyone, it's not a very manly song)

Kristi Petrak said...

so cute ^_^

Trische said...

LOL I was laughing so hard at this Jared said "what are you cackling at?" and I had to read it to him. :) He said "wait until Hannah gets into our non-metric weights and measures system - it gets worse!"